Motorbike license requirements in Queensland (QLD) follow these steps:
Learner Motorbike License:
- Must have held a provisional or full license of another type, for example a car license, for at least one full year within the last 5 years.
- Licenses can be issued by the Department of Transport and Main Roads customer service centres, authorised Queensland Government Agency Program offices or a license-issuing police station.
- Complete an application form (F3000 form). See the resources section at the bottom of this page.
- Show proof of identity.
- Pass an eyesight test.
- Pay the motorbike test fee and then pass the written road rules test (motorbike theory test). There is a practice motorbike theory test located in the resources section at the bottom of this page.
- Pay the motorbike learner license fee.
Note: While on your Learner Motorbike License you must be supervised at all times by a holder of a current unrestricted license of the same class of motorbike that you are learning to ride. They must have held this unrestricted license for at least 1 year.
Provisional and Open Motorbike Licenses:
To progress to your Provisional or Open Motorbike License, you will need to choose between the Q-RIDE and Q-SAFE methods.
This is a competency based training and assessment program. One main advantage of the Q-RIDE program is that you are not required to hold your Learner Motorbike License for the minimum 6 month period before progressing to your Provisional or Open license.
There are several accredited providers throughout Queensland, with many in the Brisbane area.
Each provider may have their own motorbike test prices, so they must be contacted individually.
The Q-SAFE practical test evaluates your ability to drive safely and correctly in different driving situations which may include a variety of speed zones. You will perform a series of driving tasks throughout your riding test. You will be given clear instructions that you must follow.
You must have held your Learner Motorbike License for a period of not less than 6 months before attempting this test.
The tests can be booked via the motor registry website.
- Display the correct plate on the rear of your motorbike. You may also choose to wear a vest with the capital letter clearly marked on the back.
- Ride only a Learner Approved Motorbike. See the resources section at the bottom of this page for more information.
- Must not carry a pillion passenger, this also includes the person who is supervising you. The only exemption is if the supervisor is in a sidecar.
- Zero blood alcohol limit (0.00).
Motorbike License Costs:
- Learner Motorbike License: $115.80 (valid for 3 years)
- Road rules test (motorbike theory test): $19.85
- Practical driving test: $46.55
- Hazard perception test: $16.45
Note: As fees including the motorbike test prices can vary without notice, it is recommended that you also confirm these prices via the motor registry website. A link can be found in the resources section at the bottom of this page.
Tell us about your experiences with obtaining a motorbike license in this area in the comments section at the bottom of this page.
Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads
Practice road rules test
Learner Approved Motorbikes (LAM)
Motorbike License Costs
Next Article: New Zealand
Previous Article: South Australia