Motorbike License Requirements – Northern Territory (NT)

Motorbike license requirements in Northern Territory (NT) follow these steps:

Learner Motorbike License

To obtain your learner motorbike license in the Northern Territory (NT) you must be at least 16 years of age. You will also be required to pass the Northern Territory Road Laws entry level theory test. If you already have a car learner license then you will not be required to attempt the Northern Territory Road Laws test again. A link to the Road Laws Handbook can be found in the resources section at the bottom of this page.

You will also be required to complete either the Balance and Stability practical riding test (Motorcycle Operator Skills Test (MOST)), or pass the Motorcyclist Education Training and Licensing (METAL) Basic course. A Balance and Stability (Motorcycle Operator Skills Test (MOST)) test must be undertaken if you reside in Darwin, Katherine, Tennant Creek or Alice Springs; or Undertake a METAL Basic Riding Course, where they are available.

Once you have passed one of these courses you will be able to complete an eyesight test, an application form, pay the fees and provide your identification at which point you will be provided with your Learners License.

Balance and Stability Practical Riding Test (MOST)

If you select to follow the route of the Balance and Stability Test (MOST) you will need to provide a road registered, and roadworthy, learner approved motorbike and a helmet for the test. As you will not yet have your own learner motorbike license it will be necessary to arrange for the motorbike to be transported to the test facility for you.

A list of the learner approved motorbike for the Northern Territory can be found at the bottom of this page.

Motorcycle Education Training and Licensing (METAL) Basic Course

The METAL courses are run from Darwin, Katherine and Alice Springs. These courses are recommended if you are new to motorbike and do not have the skills required to pass the MOST test.

Motorbike Theory Test

There is not any special theory test for motorbike learners license in the Northern Territory, it is the same as the car driving theory test.

License Validity Period

Once issued, the learners motorbike license is valid for 2 years.


Provisional Motorbike License R(r)

You must hold your learner motorbike license for a minimum of 6 months before you can progress to your provisional license.

You will then need to book for a practical riding test. These can be booked at any motor registry or over the phone if using a credit card. In remote areas these can be booked with a local Police Outstation.

The practical riding test includes a ride of approximately 20 minutes which is observed by the tester. They are judging your ability to ride defensively. Motorbike test costs can be found further down this page.

Alternatively you can also complete the METAL intermediate course, which will also set you on the path for obtaining your provisional motorbike license.


R-Class License

Once you have held your R-Date license for a period of 12 months all restrictions are removed and you can obtain your R class license.


Motorbike License Costs

Motorbike license costs for the Northern Territory include:

  • Road Law Theory Test: $FREE
  • Learner motorbike license: $18.00

Note: Both license and motorbike test costs can vary frequently. It is recommended that you check out the links in our resources section at the bottom of this page to make sure that you have the most up to date pricing.


Other Limitations

These are some of the restrictions which apply if you are riding on a restricted motorbike license in the Northern Territory:

  • Display the correct plate on the rear of your motorbike.
  • Do not go more than 80km/h on your Learner License, unless you are under the direct supervision of an instructor conducting an approved training program.
  • Ride only a Learner Approved Motorbike. See the resources section at the bottom of this page for list of these motorbikes
  • Must not carry a pillion passenger.
  • Zero blood alcohol limit (0.00).
  • Learner and Provisional license holders have a maximum of 5 demerit points over any year, or 12 points over 3 years.



Have you recently obtained your motorbike license in Darwin or anywhere in the Northern Territory? Tell us about your experiences with obtaining a motorbike license in the comments section at the bottom of this page.

We would love to hear from you.



Northern Territory Motor Vehicle Registry

License Information

Northern Territory Road Laws Handbook

Approved Learner Motorbikes


Next Article: Australian Capital Territory
Previous Article: Victoria

Go back to Requirements by Area

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: